Tuesday, April 14, 2015

White Bean Chicken Chili

We love chili and normally I make the classic red chili with ground beef, but today, I tried a new recipe for White Bean Chicken Chili.

It's very easy (crock pot easy) and very tasty! It's a healthy version of a favorite classic!


-White Bean Chicken Chili-

2-3 boneless chicken breast

(I cooked the chicken until almost done in a little water on top of the stove before transferring to crock pot)


1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 onion - chopped
1 *jalapeno - seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini or white kidney beans - drained and rinsed
3 cups chicken broth (I used the broth from chicken I cooked earlier)

Toppings: shredded cheese (I used Mexican Blend), sour cream, tortilla chips, or any of your favorite chili toppings.

Put chicken in bottom of crock pot. Add seasonings, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and beans. Next, pour broth over everything and cover. Simmer on high 4-6 hrs. or low 6-8 hrs.

Shred chicken and stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese and your favorite toppings.

 
 
*if you want more heat, add an extra jalapeno, a hotter pepper, or a can of green chilies to the recipe.
 
 
Side Note: I used a (small) crock pot for years and absolutely loved it! It cooked evenly and quickly, and you could remove the pan to brown on top of the stove.
 
It, however, wasn't big enough for all recipes (like the Easter ham of 2013) LOL. (BTW, that ham recipe was delicious!!)
 
So, I put a new, bigger crock pot on my wish list and Nathan gave me this one last year for Christmas.
 

I love all the settings and I really love the size, but it has taken some getting used to as it doesn't cook as quickly as my old crock pot. It actually takes almost twice as long to cook in this one. I have to put things in super early to have dinner ready at a decent time. Maybe I'll get used to it, if not, I may have to start doing some crock pot research! Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment