Thursday, April 16, 2015

Spicy Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork

Today, I tried another recipe from Pioneer Woman. I'll warn you ahead of time: you MUST love spicy food (I mean SPICY) if you are going to try this. It was absolutely delicious, but it is HOT! It didn't bother Peter, it can never be too hot for him, but I was a wimp and had to drink a glass of milk afterwards to balance out the heat (it works, btw).

This recipe has very few ingredients, but it is packed with flavor!

Here's what you need:


one pork shoulder or pork butt

It cooks up so tender and moist, and literally melts in your mouth.





one large onion




one 7 oz. can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

(if you are wimpy like me-just add half the can)

They have a smoky, spicy flavor. I had never tried these before, very tasty-but very spicy!


***two cans of chipotles in pic - but only use one!!



- two 12 oz. cans Dr. Pepper

I've seen lots of recipes that call for soda, but this was a first for me. It magically transforms the pork and onion and peppers into this delicious, wonderful flavorful, pulled pork concoction.

- 2 T. brown sugar






Directions:

Cut onion as shown above, place in bottom of pan. I started the pork in a slow cooker for the first 4 hours, then transferred to a pan covered tightly with foil in a 300 degree oven for 3 more hours. PW cooks hers in the oven only in a covered pot for 6 hours.
 
After putting onions in bottom of pan, place pork on top, then pour chipotles on top. Sprinkle with brown sugar, and pour in Dr. Pepper.



 
After cooking for 4 hours, it looked like this as I transferred to a pan for the oven.
 
 
Once the pork was done, I shredded it. Peter chose a bun for his, I had mine on a small flour tortilla w/ sour cream, lettuce, and shredded cheddar.
 
 
Delish....but SUPER SPICY!!!
 
I would make this again, but will probably add only half a can of peppers.
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment